Savory Shitake Bowl with Kale and Brown Rice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon wasabi paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup sliced shitake mushrooms
- 7 ounces firm tofu (about half of a 16-ounce package), drained and cubed
- 4 cups packed chopped kale (about 1 bunch)
Cook rice according to package directions.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or wok.
Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
Add the soy sauce, sesame seeds, wasabi paste, red pepper flakes, mushrooms, and tofu and stir well. Sauté them for an additional 5 minutes.
Stir in remaining 1/3 c water and the kale and sauté until the kale is slightly wilted and crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
Spoon 1/2 cup cooked rice into each of four individual bowls and top with about 1-1/2 cups shitake-kale mixture.