ALASKAN COD WITH BLACK BEAN & CORN SALAD
- 1 quart ( 32 oz) vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons adobo seasoning found in Mexican section of grocery stores)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons canned diced jalapeños or 1 small fresh jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 4 Alaskan Cod fillets (4 oz. each), fresh, thawed or frozen
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
- 4 oz. (1 cup) bell peppers, slivered
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Dressing (if desired, for salad):
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
In a large (12 inch) nonstick pan or stockpot, cook vegetable broth, adobo seasoning, cumin, oregano, garlic and jalapeños over medium heat for 2 to 4 minutes.
Rinse any ice glaze from frozen Alaskan Cod fillets under cold water.
Turn off heat and gently add seafood to liquid, skin side down.
Return heat to a simmer.
Once simmering, cover pan and cook 4 to 5 minutes for frozen seafood or 2 minutes for fresh/thawed fish.
Turn off heat and let seafood rest 5 minutes or until seafood is opaque throughout.
Remove fish; cover and keep warm.
In a separate bowl, combine black beans, corn, bell peppers and cilantro.
Blend dressing ingredients; pour over vegetables and stir gently.