In your kitchen lies many hidden tools that can help you create perfect size portions, as well as help create a cute way to display your main entrée, side dish, or dessert. One of my favorite hidden gems is the muffin tin.
Muffin tins can be used to make individual portions of eggs, oatmeal, and meat loaf, as well as side dishes such as mac n cheese or even individual desserts. If you don’t eat all your mini portions, trying freezing & enjoying them for a dinner when time is crunched or when your sweet tooth has a hankering for a sweet treat..
- old fashioned oats, steel cut oats, quinoa
- dried fruit, fresh fruit, canned fruit
- nuts, seeds, nut butter
- flax seed/wheat germ
- cinnamon, nutmeg, syrup
- milk- dairy, almond, soy
Muffin granola bowls (can be found at muffintinmania.com) great & fun way to do yogurt parfaits.
French toast bites
Pigs in a blanket (pint-size)
- 2 eggs per cup
- Ham, sausage, bacon, Canadian bacon, beans
- Green peppers, onions, tomatoes, jalapeños, shredded carrots, mushrooms
- Cheese- cheddar, goat, feta, swiss, or whatever you fancy
Mini meatloaves- barbeque, taco, Greek or Italian flavored
Spaghetti nests with meatball (can be found at muffintinmania.com)
Perfect portioned potato gratins
Mini Mac n Cheese cups
Taco cups- reverse a tortilla scoop for a mini taco salad
Mini corn dogs (kid’s favorite) Desserts:
Personal pie slice (see recipe below)
Muffin tin mini cheesecakes
Frozen smoothie cups
Chocolate chip lava cookies
Mini-Marshmallow Pumpkin Pies
1 cup crushed gingersnap cookies
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 12 regular-size muffin cups; spray paper cups with cooking spray.
2. In medium bowl, mix crushed cookies and melted butter until well blended. Press mixture in bottoms and up sides of paper cups.
3. In large bowl, beat pumpkin, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, salt, whipping cream and eggs with whisk until smooth. Spoon evenly into crusts.
4. Bake 25 minutes. Sprinkle marshmallows and pecans evenly over pies. Bake 8 minutes longer or until marshmallows are toasted. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Serve warm or chilled. Store tightly covered in refrigerator.